Cooperstown – A Jazz Opera in 9 Innings!
Cooperstown showcases five solo singers and a 1950s modern jazz quintet. Composer Sasha Matson has used baseball as an art form to express the deepest emotional truths about individuals and society. Matson reflects baseball’s own specific historical musical attributes in his composition. One is the sound of the stadium organ, which led him to score the music for a “Miles Davis” jazz quintet. This grouping of instruments is as capable as any large orchestra of realizing music in all its glory on the field. The musical materials rise to the three-chord “Charge” fanfare still heard in stadiums everywhere. Totally unique!
- Angel Corazon (A Baseball Pitcher): Alex Rodin Mendoza
- Marvin Wilder (A Baseball Catcher): Alec Carlson
- Lilly Young (Angel’s Lover): Athena Mertes
- ‘Dutch’ Schulhaus (A Baseball Manager): Travis Lewis
- Jan Green (A Sports Agent): Lisa Elliott
- Conductor/Music Director/Pianist: Uli Geissendörfer
- Co-Directors: Daz Weller, Bonita Bunt
- Set Design: Daz Weller
- Costume Design: Candace Wyant
- Trumpet: Jorge Machain
- Saxophone: Charles McNeal
- Bass: John Belzaguy
- Drums: Angelo Stokes
- Rehearsal Pianist: Bennett Mason