Program Accomplishments and Benchmarks
Celebrating Our 21st Season
- A TRADITION OF PROGRAMS SERVING ALL AGES AND TASTES
- Mainstage Repertoire Series – Fully-staged productions at UNLV Judy Bayley Theatre engaging local and nationally recognized singers with full orchestra, sets and costumes. The last three full seasons showcased Donisetti’s L’elisir d’amore, Rossini’s La Cenerentola (Cinderella), and Verdi’s Rigoletto.
- Living Composers & Librettists Initiative – Nurturing works by today’s most innovative creators. Debuting exceptional contemporary works, including 27 – Opera in Five Acts by Ricky Ian Gordon and Royce Vavrek, and Cooperstown – A Jazz Opera in Nine Innings by Sasha Matson.
- Opera on Wheels – Community outreach and audience development beyond the concert hall.
Providing free and low-cost performances in accessible venues like community centers, parks, libraries, churches, senior living facilities, and businesses throughout the Vegas Valley.
- Thematic Performances – Featuring special and seasonal celebrations for diverse populations. Highlights include Opera Legends in Black for Black History Month, ¡Latin Fiesta! for Hispanic Heritage Month, as well as OLV’s annual Holiday on Broadway Tour.
- Opera with Class – Opera experiences for young students in the Clark County School District. Providing high-spirited “Informances” (perform + inform) with Who’s Afraid of Opera? featuring artists in colorful costumes, as the narrator explains the art form . Who’s Afraid of Opera? has been recorded by Vegas PBS for broad release to CCSD teachers and students throughout Southern Nevada (free access).
- Opera Las Vegas Youth Chorus – Starring now in its 5th year and still stealing scenes!
For singers ages 8 to 15, the Chorus performs under the direction of Chorus Master Athena Mertes in Opera on Wheels productions, and charms audiences every year at OLV’s Gala.
- Annual Opera Gala – One of Las Vegas’ favorite star-studded fundraising productions. Unforgettable evenings of entertainment, legendary auction treasures, fabulous food, plus libations and surprises galore in some of Vegas’ most sumptuous settings.
- Select Opera Soirees and Recitals – Delighting audiences with one-of-a-kind evenings.
Playful soirees like Our Three Tenors, Beer and Baritones and Opera Uncorked! help audiences discover opera in a fun, social setting. OLV proudly presented its first “zoom” recital by rising star soprano Cecilia Violetta Lopez this fall during the pandemic.
- PARTNERSHIPS AND COLLABORATIONS
- Myron’s Cabaret Jazz at The Smith Center for the Performing Arts
The Cabaret venue has hosted OLV performances of Bravo Bernstein! celebrating the Maestro’s 100th Anniversary, as well as ¡Latin Fiesta!, a salute to Hispanic composers and singers, and One Amazing Evening – 20 Years of OLV’s Greatest Hits, celebrating OLV’s Twentieth Anniversary Year.
- Judy Bayley Theatre at the University of Nevada Las Vegas (UNLV) The company’s fully staged opera performances found a home at the Judy Bayley Theatre, and works with the UNLV Box Office to provide ticketing and seating for annual OLV productions in June.
- Clark County School District (CCSD) and Vegas PBS Public Television
The CCSD, the fourth largest district in the county, partners with OLV to present Who’s Afraid of Opera? live to over 3,000 students every spring. With increasing demand from school teachers and principals, added to the challenges of the pandemic, the company worked with Vegas PBS staff to professionally record and digitize a performance of Who’s Afraid of Opera? to increase distribution free of charge to meet increased requests throughout the school district.
- Clark County Library District
The 24-library system has been a champion of Opera Las Vegas productions in many of the library’s performing arts facilities – helping to extend OLV’s reach into various regions and neighborhoods of Clark County. 2021 will mark the Fourth Annual Library Tour of family-friendly operas such as Pinocchio, The Three Little Pigs, and Jack and the Beanstalk, all arranged by John Davies. On the horizon post-pandemic is The Bremen Town Musicians to carry on the tradition.
- Other Supporting Friends and Partners OLV Season Reveal Parties and Soirees have been recently hosted by the Mario Basner Gallery in Summerlin, and the Las Vegas Artists Guild inside the Galleria Mall in Henderson. Other venues include popular restaurant-bars, churches, retailers and outdoor venues. The last three OLV Galas were held respectively at the Liberace Mansion, Green Valley Ranch Resort Spa and Casino, and Paris Las Vegas Hotel and Casino on the iconic Las Vegas Strip – all magnificent host locales. The company has continued marketing and advertising partnerships with the Las Vegas Review Journal, KNPR Public Radio Station and numerous magazines and specialty publications.
Funding Awards, Kudos and New Developments
- Only Professional Company Member of Opera America in Nevada
- Recipient of grants from the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) for “Living Composers and Librettists Initiative”
- Recipient of Annual Operating and Education Grants from the Nevada Arts Council (NAC)
- Participation by General Director Jim Sohre in Opera America’s Directors Roundtable for peer organization networking during the pandemic
- Appointment of Joshua Horsch as Music Director for the 2020-2021 season and beyond
- Opera supporters par excellence Chris and Anita Murray selected in 2020 by Opera America as Outstanding Trustees of national opera companies in Category 5
- The company has four support groups: Bravo Circle for cherished friends of the opera; Operazzi young careers club for 25-45 year-olds; Encore Club for treasured major donors; and Opera Angels for friends who provide artists housing and assistance at productions and special events